Monday, September 12, 2005


so, theraminman (who, evidently, actually started writing on his blog while i wasn't looking), gave me a cd of Jonathon Richman and the Modern lovers. much loved gift. it's jonathon singing live and "ice cream man" is perhaps one of the best live versions of any song i have heard by anyone ever. "egyptian reggae" ain't so damn bad either. that would have been enough to get me to his music gig last saturday (plus the gig was damn fun. i haven't danced like a giraffe in heat for some time; made me reealize that if i'm going to not quit smoking i need to get back in the other habit of getting exercise). but...
BUT he can't give me just one richman cd. no, he has to tease me with a "bonus cd". and when he hands it to me it turns out to be the very album that got me started at the age of 16 on my jonathon odyssey. my older sister had bought a rubinoos album (vinyl, of course). inside, though, was something by someone we didn't know of. sis wanted to return it right away, but i and her older brother convinced her to play it first. the rest is history...she didn't return it. and i have followed his music ever since. how could i go wrong with songs like "here come the martian martians", "abominable snowman in the supermarket", "hey there little insect", "hi dear", unique covers of "back in the u.s.a." and "amazing grace", and "rockin' shoppin' center"? not to mention "lonely financial building".
so, thank you theremainman (sic). you rock just as does jonathon. and your "ticket to ride" gig on saturday was a kick for me. the music was good, the dancing was strokeworthy (not in the kleenex way, mind you) and your shoutouts made me feel like i was having my birthday all over again. and the picture above is my badnewsblonde way of thanking you (she thanks people who buy her stuff by showing parts of her body...which is damn smart. you don't get that. you get what i got. and what i got is me at 15 trying to be cool for the camera. but aces works for the gift. aces to you, beeyatch).
cheers to all and listen to jonathon richman as much as you can. by the way, the cd has at least three more songs on it than the vinyl did, including "roadrunner". SUPER BONUS!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

lecram sinun said...

good pic, dude. i got a royal flush... what do you have?

ScarySquirrelMan said...

the scary squirrel dude (just call me the dude) has five of a kind.
to the remin' man (looks nasty when i separate your handle like that, doesn't it?): bust those buttons. you sick, bro!
p.s. you see my dilemma, lecram? can't figure out how to crop them damn scan pics.
my word is: qjuim

ScarySquirrelMan said...

then how the heck is it attached to your name?????

ScarySquirrelMan said...

and who is dawgfish the dj?????

aughra said...

you should buy me something!

I like Richman. Have you ever heard Wally Pleasant?

ScarySquirrelMan said...

wally pleasant? uh uh. who he? and you're right. i SHOULD buy you something, but i haven't figured out what to ask for in return yet. it will come.

ScarySquirrelMan said...

yo poppins, that is lecram's eye. i'll be visiting your blog soon. glad to have you on the circuit.