Thursday, October 20, 2005

Life Update

For those of you who know me and/or actually read my tripe, it's time to update you on my life situation. I will be flying up to Washington this Sunday evening to look at the Poulsbo lab for my company and meet the staff there. My bosses have decided (quite wisely, I might add) that they can't afford to let me work for another company (the usual story: skeletons, mob hits and all that). So, they are paying for the flight, hotel room, rental car and food. I'll return Monday night late. What's going on is that I posted my resume on monster.com and suddenly different companies were very interested in my talents. And I made it known that I wouldn't mind relocating to Washington (love the weather, seasons, culture, produce, snow, real fires in real fireplaces, the fact that spring is announced not by birds but by comely young women peeling off their clothes to show lots of leg and arm and neck and collarbone in public...makes a guy appreciate females anew each and every year). I lived in Seattle for 9 years, so I know.
Anyway, my company is ready to offer me management of the lab up there. I really like working where I'm at, but there is no room for growth. I am a technician who has reached most of my limits as such. And a very good friend is my manager at present, so I would never do anything to get his job. Hence, the only way to stretch my wings is to move to another lab or company.
Also, I got the weirdest email about my car. I have been told to consider the BMW sold and to pull my ad. Further, a check will be sent to me and I will deduct my price plus $100, then transfer the balance to the representative who will pick up the car. I'm down with that. There is one ethical dilemma, though. When this gentleman emailed me previously expressing interest, he asked me my final price. I had decided to drop it by $1000 and told him so. This was two or three days ago. Today he sent me three emails. The middle one asked me what my final price was (even though he had decided to buy it already). I'm thinking of sticking to the original price, because that is what is still showing on the car ad website AND I have received two other emails expressing interest at that price. I have not responded to that particular email. I feel that if he is wheeling and dealing and not reading his emails, then perhaps it's my call and reverting to the original asking price is ethically okay. Help me out on that one, would you folks? Especially since his first email of the day said he was going to send me a check for $5,500, but the third email said he was going to send me one for $7,500. Plus, I can tell this car is not for him. I can tell he is a reseller and most likely will be selling it in Europe (he's an English bloke who will be over there on business while his rep picks it up and I think the oversize of the check is for shipping to Europe). Either way, whoohoo for me. Thinking of moving has me all atizzy about what to keep, what not to keep, how to move it, where to move it (if I don't a place rented before I get there) and what to do with a second car I don't drive. He has one week to send me the check.
What a day. Hope yours was as weird as mine.

7 comments:

aughra said...

Hmm, I don't know about the sale - it sounds like your buyer is a bit of a confused jerk. KEep your options open.

And how cool about the job offer and possible move. I have never been to WA and am keeping a tally of bloggers I could possible visit when I do...

scarysquirrelman said...

the buyer has evidently already sent the check according to his rep and it will be shipped to the UK. i'll know with in a week whether these guys are on the up-and-up. the other buyer has agreed to wait a week. if this deal is not cool then i'll contact him.
and it's going to be hard to resist the lure of the northwest weather when i'm trying to play hardball negotiator. i love the cold, four distinct seasons and the reasonable amount of snow.

scarysquirrelman said...

i meant the car will be shipped to the UK, not the check.

kien lim said...

This buyer sounds dodgy to me. Be wary.

Mustang said...

My opinion is that if the rep refuses, at a minimum, a decent reach-around, then they are not on the up-and-up!

M

Generik said...

Best of luck if you do make the move. There are a lot of good people of the capping persuasion in Seattle I could put you in touch with, if you're interested.

As for the car -- make sure the check clears before you do anything!

jade ed girl said...

Please, please, please, do not go oh oh...